April 30th 2011
Here are my suggestions on how to use your fan page effectively (and what NOT to do).
Not So Good
- DON’T use your page to just have text link to your posts. There is no point, you will not get more traffic, and people will “hide” you on their FB feed.
- DON’T use your fan page to link ONLY to OTHER people’s posts. We want to interact with you and your posts, not a stream from CNN, Google, and your Google Reader.
- DON’T force people to “like” your page by making it a “term” of your contest or promotion. They will unlike or “hide” your page the moment the contest is over. It also makes you seem like you care more about numbers than actually valuing your fans.
- DON’T complain all the time about not having enough “likes” and make it an excuse as to why you don’t do more with your page. Those 2 fans you have will feel like you don’t appreciate them or their time.
- DON’T use your page to put down others or to set up smear campaigns. Being a bully is not something to be proud of.
Ultra Hardcore Awesome Do’s
- DO connect your fan page to twitter! By using the FB app, FB to Twitter, anything you post on your fan page will cross-post to your twitter account which in turn, gets you MORE traffic and sometimes MORE likes on your fan page.
- DO interact with your fans! Ask open-ended questions, RESPOND to their comments in a timely manner, and appreciate them! Remember, your FB fan page is not an RSS feed but a COMMUNITY.
- DO post frequently but be careful, posting every hour or more can be overwhelming to a person and they may “unlike” or hide your page from their feed.
- DO utilize Facebook Applications! Some examples are: Etsy, Twitter for Pages, Flickr for Pages, and YouTube.
- DO offer “extras”. It could be photos or video you didn’t have room for on your post, or even perhaps a contest or promotion!
- DO share your latest blog post! Even better if it has an image,because FB will pull it as a thumbnail!
- DO pay attention to the TIME OF DAY you post! If you’re in the United States, posting on your wall after midnight will garner LESS views / comments / interaction than a post at 8am or 8pm for example.
Go check out my FB fan page and by all means, link to yours in the comments!