Recipe: Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
This is a super delicious macaroni and very creamy! If you have leftovers, you can toss in some frozen peas, chopped fresh basil, and a chopped tomato to bulk it up the next day!
- 1 TBSP butter (granted I use a can’t believe it’s not butter)
- 1 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 C low-fat milk (I use 2%)
- 2 C onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 12 oz dried whole-wheat macaroni
- 3 1/2 oz Wisconsin Buttermilk Blue Cheese
- 2 1/2 oz Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 4 oz 2% cheddar, shredded
- 4 oz extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Cook your macaroni in a LOTTTTT of boiling, super salty water for 7 minutes. No more than that or you will end up with mushy macaroni in your final dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly with a whisk, cook for about 3 minutes. That’s our roux which will thicken the sauce. Slowly whisk in milk to thoroughly incorporate flour mixture. Stir in onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently; remove from heat.
- Combine blue cheese with about two-thirds of both types of cheddar cheese in saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in macaroni. Pour macaroni mixture into prepared dish and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheeses and the parmesan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece / cup per serving.
So freaking delicious, filling, and overall it was fairly quick to make. Everyone loved it, even Sir Nummies!
This post is over a year old which means the content may be outdated or no longer accurate.