Recipe: Southwestern Pasta
This meal is so delicious, so healthy, and technically if you eliminate the cheese, is vegan as well!
I know it’s not the best photo, but take my word for it, super delicious! Oh and you will dirty three pots/pans and one very large bowl but it’s worth it.
- 1 large sweet onion, large dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, large dice
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained (15oz generally)
- 3 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 bag of frozen corn (1lb)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, (28oz)
- 1 box of dried penne (1lb)
- 1 block of sharp cheddar cheese (8oz, eliminate this to make the dish vegan!), cubed
- 4 limes
- 1 TBSP oil (I personally use olive but vegetable is fine)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Start by boiling the water for the pasta, make sure you salt your water VERY well as this is your only chance to really season the pasta. Once your water is boiling like crazy, drop your pasta in, give it a stir, and cook for 8-10min until it’s done but not mushy, still has some texture to it.
In a separate skillet, add the oil, cumin, and the frozen corn. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until the corn is soft and slightly caramelized.
In a large pot, add the beans, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, avocado, garlic, corn/cumin mixture, and diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for around 5-10minutes, just to heat through.
Dump the cooked pasta and vegetable mixture into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cubed cheese, the juice of the 4 limes, and any additional salt/pepper that it may need.
This is super quick to make, affordable, can be made vegan by eliminating the cheese, or made more hearty by adding diced chicken breast. Very delicious and kid friendly (my oldest son loved it and said it was “delicious!”), we make this recipe often!
This post is over a year old which means the content may be outdated or no longer accurate.