My insomnia / nocturnal sleep has come back FULL FORCE so here I am at 3:30am on Friday the 13th, getting my jam on to Backstreet Boys, *Nsync, 98 Degrees, and 5ive (I am hardcore not only about glitter but boy bands as well!). So I figure it’s time for another life update! Although I know my photo posts and writing about making your blogs awesome are super duper exciting!

It’s been a crazy few weeks both positive and utterly confusing emotionally. The latest would be that I had to reach out to Danny’s biological father who we haven’t heard from in over three years now (and it was sporadic before that). I have to give him credit, when I sent him a facebook message that I needed to talk to him he responded quickly. See, Daniel wants to change his last name to match my husband’s last name. Which requires the signature on a ton of super confusing paperwork from not only my husband and myself but bio-dad as well.

It brought up a lot of memories, some good, some bad, and a lot of “wow, his life could have been MY life too” and it made me super grateful for all I have. Even though I struggle with this house, we OWN the house. I am fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom finally. I have a husband that tells me daily, ok more like hourly, that I’m gorgeous and sexy (even if I don’t believe it). I have the ability to help others with their blogs and I like to think I take some decent photos! We make enough money that we can enjoy a night of sushi every once in a while and go to the farmer’s market every weekend.

Not to say life is perfect and we don’t live paycheck to paycheck, because that’s life right now but it’s a far easier life than what I’m used to (we have central air conditioning! EPIC!).

When I told Dan that I spoke to his bio-father he really didn’t seem to care one way or the other. A simple, “Oh… well Tristan is running around naked AGAIN and is screaming that he’s pirate Hook and I think he’s going to take me down…”, was all I got out of him. And yes, Tristan IS a pirate with an eye patch, hook, and pirate hat. He also runs around naked all day long which is fine by me since it means he uses the potty rather than diapers which means WAY less diaper laundry for me!

Let’s see… what else has been going on… OH RIGHT… THIS!

That’s right! I designed a custom 2 column with 3 column footer WordPress theme with social media buttons for a client I had worked with a couple of times before to have her… not pay me. I completely took it personally after I was told, after putting my foot every so slightly down, that a money order was mailed to me… and here we are a bit over two weeks later and I can’t even get a response to my emails.

It’s made me evaluate WHY I even do it because we don’t need the money to live on. However, I like to think I have some decent skills and I truly LOVE helping people not only make their sites/blogs pretty on the OUTSIDE but to have very cool functionality as well. Plus, I like to make broken blogs WORK. Nothing drives me more crazy than seeing a site go down because of an easy to fix PHP error or due to a div that wasn’t closed properly. I do think I’ll take a break from design work this Autumn though and just stick to repairs / minor work / monthly duties.

School starts again at the end of August for Daniel. 5th grade. I’m trying really hard to start it off with a positive attitude but it’s difficult for me considering my views about the public school system. Going from two years of public school to two years of homeschooling and unschooling just to go BACK to public school… ah a struggle for sure for me. I hope that because we now have a “relationship” with his school that things will be smoother, that he will have a teacher that will be more focused and AWARE.

I’ve already bought all of his school supplies which is the only saving grace for me because I LOVE school supply season at Target. I just throw stuff in the cart with wild abandon! CRAYONS! PENS! GLUEEEE! FOLDERS!!!! NOTEBOOKS!!! *shriek*

I indeed bought 44 notebooks and over 30 folders. JUST TO HAVE. Not to mention a ton of crayons, markers, and colored pencils because it’s good to have around.

I still need to buy his entire school wardrobe though because his public school has a super strict dress code so I’m starting to look for sales but I worry that he’ll suddenly grow 5 inches between now and next month. He’s about 1 1/2″ shy of being 5′ tall already

I’ve posted some fairly long statuses on my facebook page so stop by over there before this post turns into some sort of novel!

Oh and yeah, I was featured on BlogHer which was a nice surprise!

How have YOU been lately? Tell me all about it!

posted on July 13th 2012 at 12:01PM CDT

Must be kind of a relief to know Daniel doesn’t get too upset about his bio-dad. He’s very lucky to have a good life with stability and 2 parents he can count on. And from the sounds of it you’re doing an excellent job. Did bio-dad agree to sign the papers?

Love the second bee photo! Beautifully captured! I’m going to get a bee tattooed on my foot within the month. I’m shopping artists right now, but I’ve been planning this tattoo for years. I’m finally getting the ball rolling.

I am SO GLAD Gina championed you. If you’re going to hire someone you have to pay them, and if you can’t afford to hire someone, don’t hire them. And don’t lie and come up with excuses. It’s not fair to the person who is just trying to do their job and make you happy. It’s called “taking advantage,” of someone, and it’s deplorable. I’m glad you took your work down. That person isn’t entitled to free layouts.

I SO miss shopping for back to school supplies! Usually by the middle of August I was dying to get back to school and where most girls would be spending on back to school clothes I would go to Office Depot and stock up on my favourite pens and nice crisp ruled paper and binders and folders and highlighters and mechanical pencils and erasers *drools* oh I can’t go on, I miss it so much. I can’t wait for my nephew to start school. I’ll voluntarily take him shopping for supplies, haha!

posted on July 13th 2012 at 5:05PM CDT

Yes, he did agree to sign, although we did have other options if he didn’t but this by far will be the easiest (even though it will still cost us $500 for everything).

I’d love to get some more ink but I have NOOOOO idea what to get!

I still have no clue what to do with the theme, because it involves a WP plugin for fonts, I’m not sure how to make it “easy” for a regular person to set up. Otherwise I’d just offer it for free and let people donate whatever they feel its worth.

OMFG school supply season is EPIC for me. I got some pens in different colored inks LOL!

Brandy Ford
posted on July 13th 2012 at 4:56PM CDT

My son will be 17 this year. I asked his bio dad for YEARS to sign over so we could do the name change. (the man has not been in his life since he was 3) I finally just gave up and told my son that when he turns 18 he can do it then. Well that was not good enough and my son found his bio dad on facebook and sent him a message. I had no idea till it was done. I really do not encourage my kids to be rude but I am proud of my boy for standing up for himself and demanding want he wanted. It has been a year now that my son is officially a “FORD” and feels more complete as a family! I hope all works out for you :)

posted on July 13th 2012 at 5:07PM CDT

We had a few options here, 1. he agrees to sign – 2. he doesn’t, we put an ad in the paper for 3 weeks and if he doesn’t APPEAR to COURT, his signature is not needed – 3. the hardcore option, I file for child support and he would owe a decade in back support since he’s never given me child support… ever.

Thankfully he went with option #1 heh. We are trying to push this through before school starts at the end of August so he can start the 5th grade as a Vincent. I actually haven’t even changed MY last name legally because I felt like it would single my oldest son out having all of us be a Vincent and him with a different last name so LEGALLY I still have my maiden name of DiLullo.

Brandy Ford
posted on July 13th 2012 at 10:36PM CDT

Well glad he choose option 1! My sons Bio dad was ordered to pay child support the whole time, and its been on and off again with his payments. He also has 3 other children to pay for. We are going to court now for the back support he owes prier to the signing over. And it was child support enforcement that is doing it all. The judge would not let him get away with not paying. I could be “nice” and just wave the payment…but….

Oh I think it would be Awesome if you Both changed your names together!

posted on July 15th 2012 at 6:47PM CDT

I doubt I’d get more than $20 a month based on what he makes lol so I don’t even bother.

Oh yes, I have to change my name everywhere LOL! Drivers license, PayPal card, bank account, social security office… geez!

Nicole P.
posted on July 14th 2012 at 9:26AM CDT

Lovely lovely pictures. I’m glad your life is going well. I feel the same way about school supplies! I just go nuts. And my kids aren’t even schoolage. Has that client paid you yet? That’s utterly ridiculous that she won’t.

posted on July 15th 2012 at 6:45PM CDT

Nope, hasn’t paid, ignores my emails… classy lol.

Mary@Everyday Baby Steps
posted on July 14th 2012 at 11:29AM CDT

Love your positive attitude. It definitely makes a difference to look at where you are now and what you have in your life. However, must admit that I’m irked at how you’ve gotten your back-to-school shopping done already. I’ll forgive you if you promise not to rub it in when I’m complaining the third week of August that I can’t find any darn book covers! :)

posted on July 15th 2012 at 6:39PM CDT

Well if it helps, it’s because I CAN NOT RESIST! I have no idea if the majority of what I bought is even on his school supply list LOL!!! I plan on going though it all this week to make sure I got everything the school requires.

posted on July 14th 2012 at 5:04PM CDT

Hey you! :)

I’m a bit behind on blog reading and commenting and haven’t blogged myself in a while. I think you should accept PayPal only for your sites and get 1/2 up front before designing. OR don’t install the design until you’ve been paid in full. Cause that’s some bullshit right there.

And I LOVE school supplies season. Just spent way too much on notebooks and Barnes & Noble!

posted on July 15th 2012 at 6:38PM CDT

LOl actually that is what I do! However the reason I didn’t ask for a deposit this time around was because I had already done two full themes for her and she told me her PayPal account was restricted… so then I said well use your bank account which apparently was restricted as well, that’s how the money order that apparently never existed took place.

Meh. Drama!

OMGOSH I was thrilled, I got myself some new colored ink pens lol!

posted on July 16th 2012 at 1:23PM CDT

Those bee photos are CRAAAZY! What lens are you using? I’m getting a macro lens soon and I’m getting nervous about learning how to use it. New things! Are scary!

Sorry you got stiffed on that payment. I can see why you didn’t ask for it up front when it’s someone you’ve worked with in the past. Oh, and don’t take it personally! Which reminds me, I have to email you about something! :)

posted on July 17th 2012 at 1:50AM CDT

Thank you! I used my Sigma 105mm Macro which I tend to use the MOST often in my photos these days lol! It’s NOT hard to use a macro, however the closer you are to the subject, the faster shutter speed you’ll need because every little breeze seems like a wind storm!

Oh yes, it’s been a month now and just… it’s hard to not go 100% public with WHO it is, although if someone asks me I will share (full disclosure is my life yo!).