True strawberry season is very short (especially this year with local berries!) so I try to bake with them as much as possible! I like going the muffin route because it’s portable, tasty, and my kids love them. I also have zero guilt because they aren’t super sugary and are actually pretty darn healthy! This is a seriously great strawberry muffins recipe to have on hand.
Whole Wheat and Oat Buttermilk Strawberry Muffins
Yield 12 muffins
- 2 cups of strawberries, diced
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup of either brown sugar, or a sugar replacement
- 8 TBSP butter or butter replacement
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt, I use kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In your stand mixer or just a large mixing bowl, add in all of your dry ingredients (flour, oats, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda). Stir to combine.
- Mix in the butter until it it’s evenly distributed through the dry ingredients.
- Into the bowl, add all of your wet ingredients (buttermilk, vanilla, berries). Mix until combined and everything is moistened.
- Evenly distribute batter into a 12-tin muffin pan that’s been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with muffin paper liners.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, just depends on your oven.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes and then enjoy with butter!
Try this recipe out and let me know how it turns out for you!