This soup has a hint of spicy and smokey from the chipotle pepper and a really great flavor from the corn tortillas both in the soup and as a crunchy garnish! This soup is also vegan as well. Personally we top ours with shredded sharp cheddar but that isn’t needed.
Ingredients for the Soup
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 1/2 C pumpkin puree (which is one of those regular sized cans)
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes (one of those BIG cans)
- 4 C vegetable or chicken stock
- 6 corn tortillas, sliced into squares
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried/baked
- lime wedges
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese
- avocado, cubed with some lime and salt
In a food processor (or you can chop it all by hand), slap in the garlic, cumin, onion, cilantro, salt, black pepper, chipotle pepper, and blend that all until its a nice fragrant paste. In a large pot over medium heat, add some olive or vegetable oil, about a tablespoon or so and add in your paste and diced corn tortillas. Cook the paste and tortillas (stirring often) for about 2-3minutes.
Add the pumpkin puree, canned diced tomatoes, vegetable/chicken stock, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for an hour or so.
Once the soup is cooked through, ladle into bowls and top with any or all of the delicious garnishes! I bet sour cream or vegan sour cream would be a great addition too!
This is a really simple yet awesome and delicious soup!